Skip to main content

Week 3 Blog Forum

Topic 1
There are two possible subjects for my environmental portrait and mugshot. The first person I have in mind is Clay Carlisle who is the pastor at Philomath First Baptist Church. He is best known for his title as Philomath Pastor and is very liked among the congregation. The best environment to shoot Clay would be on the stage of the church where he speaks every Sunday morning. A good prop would be the pulpit and maybe a bible. I can go to this person directly to contact him.

The other person I had in mind was my hairstylist! Her name is Paige Ragsdale and I can messenger her. She has a huge passion for working as a hairstylist. Her outgoing and sweet personality makes her a perfect subject. She just started up her own salon and is known around Philomath and Corvallis as the super sweet hair stylist! I would shoot her smiling while attending to one of her clients. a perfect prop would be scissors or hairspray or a hair dryer, or anything, really!

Topic 2
1. Personally I think the best photo I have taken so far is the medium shot from the Zumba class for this weeks assignment. It shows the environment really well with the props in the background, the composition of the photo is nice, and the subjects are both smiling!

2. I think the worst photo I've taken is the one from week one of Mirkayla Hedlund for the humans of LBCC assignment. You can tell the flash was used in the darker area of the bookstore, and the quality of the photo is not the greatest. Natural lighting is defiantly your best friend!

3. Honestly I think my MAIN area of improvement is being more comfortable taking the photos. I think the more relaxed you are the better the photo will turn out. I always get nervous or awkward when taking the photos because for the most part I am photographing strangers. Other than that I really would like to learn more about the camera settings on my Nikon.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo Story- Humans of Philomath

Sarah Woosley One of the most well-known faces around Philomath is Sarah Woosley. Sarah is the Associate Director at the Philomath Youth Activities Club, more commonly known as PYAC. She is responsible for personnel management, grant writing and management, community relations, and day to day Clubhouse operations. Sarah says, "it is a great balance because I get to do work in the community and with agencies around the county, but also still get to work with the kids." Sarah has been with PYAC since she moved to Corvallis in 2001. A few years later she and her family moved to Philomath after growing to love the town and community.  Blake Ecker Another familiar face around town is Blake Ecker. Blake not only works for Country Financial, an insurance company, he is also the Philomath High School varsity boys basketball coach. Blake says the best part of his job is building new relationships and helping people. The worst part of his job is unforeseen changes

Photographer of the Week

I chose to research photographer Lee Jeffries for this assignment. The reason I chose Lee Jeffries is because his photos really caught my eye. They are so distinctly his work and I think that is really cool for a photographer to have. His "claim to fame" is photographing black and white images of homeless people all around the world. My favorite picture of Jeffries is the one below. This photo, like many of Jeffries work shows so much emotion. This one is a little different because most of them focus on the subjects eyes but I really like how this one shows so much emotion without even needing to see the eyes. This photo is actually of a homeless sex worker without the wig she usually wears.   Photo taken from DailyMail.com https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2608543/Photographer-Lee-Jeffries-uncovers-haunting-human-face-drug-addiction-homelessness-poverty.html Lee Jeffries got the idea of photographing homeless people when he came across a young homeless gi

Week 7 Blog Forum

MY NEIGHBORHOOD/MY HOMETOWN I am going to photograph Philomath because that is the town where I currently live and where I grew up. For my photos I have a couple different options in mind. I was thinking one of my photos would be (if it turns out) a photo from the outside of the new cafe the Dizzy Hen with people sitting at one of the tables against the window. Another idea is of the Philomath Art Museum. I would take a very low shot of people walking in or out. I also think it would be a good idea to do someone working at Dairy Queen. I also might shoot the local barber cutting someones hair on Main Street. The cafe shot will definitely pose the biggest challenge because I have to have just the right angle and light to show the people inside and the sign on the window. PHOTO STORY IDEAS For my photo story I was thinking about documenting either doing a series of environmental portraits or the farmers market. For the environmental portraits I would do at least six portraits of pe