Skip to main content

Week 6 Blog Forum

I really enjoyed listening to Karl Maasdam on Monday. Two tips he gave that stood out to me were to NOT LOOK AT THE PHOTOS IN THE MIDDLE OF SHOOTING and to look for background first rather than the subject first while shooting sports photography. I wrote that first one in all caps because that is something I have a hard time not doing. I always want to look at photos right after I take them but when you do that you most often miss the action. So for next weeks assignment I am really going to challenge myself to stay away from the playback button. The other good tip was to find background first. I think this one is really great when shooting action photos because the action will come to you, and that will probably turn out better than you trying to chase down the action. For our assignment I am going to try and change up backgrounds and see what comes into my lens when I am all focused.

I am going to try and shoot the LBCC girls volleyball game tonight. If I can't make it to that I will shoot the Philomath High School's cross country championship meet this Saturday. The athletes will obviously be my subject and depending on what sport I get to my location will either be outside on the Lane Community Colleges trails or inside the LBCC gym.

For volleyball I was thinking an overall shot could maybe have some fans in it but mostly a far shot of the court, a medium shot I was thinking a spike action shot, and a close up either the reactions of a fan or the determined face of a player. For cross country I was kind of thinking the same thing: overall of parents on the side lines cheering on their kids, medium a runners full body, and close up maybe the face of an athlete as they cross the finish line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo Story- Humans of Philomath

Sarah Woosley One of the most well-known faces around Philomath is Sarah Woosley. Sarah is the Associate Director at the Philomath Youth Activities Club, more commonly known as PYAC. She is responsible for personnel management, grant writing and management, community relations, and day to day Clubhouse operations. Sarah says, "it is a great balance because I get to do work in the community and with agencies around the county, but also still get to work with the kids." Sarah has been with PYAC since she moved to Corvallis in 2001. A few years later she and her family moved to Philomath after growing to love the town and community.  Blake Ecker Another familiar face around town is Blake Ecker. Blake not only works for Country Financial, an insurance company, he is also the Philomath High School varsity boys basketball coach. Blake says the best part of his job is building new relationships and helping people. The worst part of his job is unforeseen changes

Photographer of the Week

I chose to research photographer Lee Jeffries for this assignment. The reason I chose Lee Jeffries is because his photos really caught my eye. They are so distinctly his work and I think that is really cool for a photographer to have. His "claim to fame" is photographing black and white images of homeless people all around the world. My favorite picture of Jeffries is the one below. This photo, like many of Jeffries work shows so much emotion. This one is a little different because most of them focus on the subjects eyes but I really like how this one shows so much emotion without even needing to see the eyes. This photo is actually of a homeless sex worker without the wig she usually wears.   Photo taken from DailyMail.com https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2608543/Photographer-Lee-Jeffries-uncovers-haunting-human-face-drug-addiction-homelessness-poverty.html Lee Jeffries got the idea of photographing homeless people when he came across a young homeless gi

Week 10 Blog Forum

The above photo of Joey Peterson who finished first place in the 4A boys cross country state championship is probably my favorite photo that I took this term. I really like how the background clearly shows that it is a meet with the crowd and the other runners but they don't take away from the main subject. The main runner's whole body is in the frame and both of his feet are off the ground so I did a good job of freezing the action which was the main goal of the assignment. It reflects what I learned in photojournalism by his expression. A huge part of good photojournalism photos is the expression of the subject. Not only does the main subject have a good facial expression but you can tell the other boys do to. It is also a good example of how to crop a photo for the paper because that is also super important. There is no clutter! And lastly, the main thing that I learned this term is that good photojournalism tells a story and I think this photo does that. I think the m